Tuesday, 22 July 2014

My Olive Oil journey

My Olive Oil journey:
3 years ago I went back to Italy to a small town called Monteodorisio in Abruzzo region of Italy, where I was born and raised until I was 5 years old. After more then 30 years of being away from my home town, I finally decided to get back and start a new life. Before that time being in different countries (Switzerland, Germany, England and Italy) I was used to buying Olive Oil in supermarkets and special delicatessen shops and i was always convinced I had pure Olive Oil. In Monteodorisio i met a few people who told me: “My Olive Oil is the best in the region”...and I always replied back with a smile: “We are in Italy, so no matter where you buy the Olive Oil ( supermarket or town shops ) its always good quality so tell me why should I buy yours:)?” ...Adding up to the fact that their Olive Oil was double the price of the supermarkets i was used to buying from the final remark from the guys was always the same: “Buy my oil and you will see :)...” After about a month of hesitating I finally did buy some from a local producer. After degusting around 7 different types I  found the best one for me and proudly went back home thinking: “MM there were a lot of good types of oil there but I managed to pick  the best one for myself:)” Arriving home I realized how hot it was outside so I thought:”Don’t worry Lorenzo, put the Olive Oil into the fridge (like you always did wherever you lived), so it will stay cool and good for long!”...and I went to bed soon after. Can you imagine how shocked i was the next morning when I opened up the fridge and saw my Olive Oil going from liquid to SOLID. “What the hell did the guy sell to me?!”...- it never happened to me before with any Olive Oil no matter where I bought it and how much I paid for it. So I called the guy straight away. As soon he picked up I started to swear telling him off and saying: “Since i haven’t lived here for years you think I am a tourist! But I am not stupid and won’t let anybody make a fool of me...so I want my money back!!!” The guy was really devastated and asked: “Why, what happened? Was the oil off, did you break the bottle?”... I answered: “No, nothing like that”... and I explained the reason for my resentment... After I finished my accusatory speech  he started laughing out loud driving me even more insulted...After a few seconds  he finally explained: “This is a 100%  Olive Oil, its not the one you have bought before, meaning good Olive Oil ALWAYS gets stiff in the fridge, that’s how you can see it’s a proper one...so take it out, leave it for a wile out of the fridge and you will see, it will soon be fluid like before :)”...Oh Gosh, after the phone conversation I was a bit ashamed of myself because I had never known that. I apologized to the guy.. and guess what? He even gave me the second Bottle for free:) Plus he offered to teach me everything connected with olives and Olive Oil, to go with him picking olives so that I could see how they grow, what’s the right way to collect them, how they are made into oil etc.....But that is definitely another story and I will tell you this later... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment