Saturday, 9 August 2014

My big Italian Family:)

Today I want to tell you what happened to me once during olive-picking season. As I told you before harvest usually takes place in October-November. At that time usually it's still rather warm in Italy, but the day gets shorter and it can be quite cool in the evening and at night.

So one day  I was going back home after a long and tiresome day in the garden. I sat down on the bench to have a little rest and enjoy the first minutes of the stunning Italian sunset (the scenery that lovely and magnificent you can hardly ever find In any other part of the world)...and at the very moment I was trying to take a picture of this beauty I felt some strange movement by my feet. I jumped off the bench immediately as I have to admit this strong snake phobia of mine...))))). But I was really surprised to find there an absolutely amusing and harmless dog creature. It looked so helpless, so friendly and amiable, with eyes so kind and full of sympathy, that I couldn't really help smiling. I tried to catch the sign of the owner but  there was nobody around. It didn't seem strange to me because  it often happens, especially in small Italian towns, that dogs walk around on their own and  when it's time they find a way back home easily. This dog wasn't a puppy and didn't look exhausted or neglected so I was sure it wasnt homeless. But when I set off  to my house the dog started following me. And so we walked in absolute silence all the way up to my house united by the vision of the beautiful sunset picture we 'd just enjoyed together....)

It was late. When we reached the house I told the dog to leave and walked in. It gave me the saddest and wisest farewell look ever and kept sitting at my porch. All the evening while I was cooking dinner and preparing to have it in front of the TV
( a typical bachelor's time spending of mine) I couldn't forget that look. Besides I realised it was pretty cold and uncosy outside. So I went out to check and guess what... The little bastard was still there, sleeping on a piece of a old wet Newspaper. So I couldn't resist the pity and let it in. I told myself: tomorrow I will certainly sort it out, it's  just for the night......you see, I get really naive and spineless when it comes to animals and women...))))))

Monteodorisio is a very small town with the population of 2500 people so it took me no effort to find out the dog didn't belong to anybody there . Later my uncle suggested the idea it had been brought and deliberately abandoned because somebody wanted to get rid of it. By the whole exterior it was apparantly a hunting dog, people usually expect this pedigree to enjoy the process of chasing, killing and fetching wild animals at minimum. This dog was the friendliest, silliest and nicest creature I had ever met and besides .....it was afraid of shooting sound :)))). Yes just like that ......the hunting dog scared of gun shooting...what can be more humiliating and stupid :)))))  So it's not hard to guess that after a short thinking I made up my mind to keep it. It was a she-dog, I named her Lola.
From that moment we were inseparable. It accompanied me everywhere: harvesting olives, drinking beer in the local bar, walking around and taking pictures in the fields...we became real friends...we even liked the same things,   Yes things do happen...you can have mutual tastes and eating habits with your dog. E.g we liked the same food: most of the time I cooked pasta for dinner using my favourite Olive Oil I'd chosen for myself from the local farmer and at the end of the day we both enjoyed eating it most of all....My dog refused to eat plain spaghetti or macaroni without any meat or fish sauce but she could easily have it with just Olive Oil and Parmesan cheese...the same with me, it's just amasing :)






A couple of months later another surprise was waiting for me. Lola started to gain weight dramatically and became very lazy, refusing to spend time with me outside more and more often. I was even afraid she had fallen ill or something until my neighbour opened my eyes saying: don't you see your dog is pregnant!))))))....Very soon I turned from a lonely man into a happy possessor of one dog and 6 puppies, Lola let even a neighbours cat sleep with her, so have a guess again, what that cat did... YEP this cat had kittens in a few days, so I had 6 Puppies and 5 kittens:)
. I managed to give away 4 of the puppies and the other two (a boy and a girl) stayed with me in the house up to the moment I left for the UK (yes I managed even to give all the kittens away too)


.  So they made my family, I enjoyed taking care of them, walking them and bringing up the puppies. They were really restless and cheerful, never tired of new impressions and experiences and always happy and excited. I loved all my dogs but the boy was my real favourite, so cute and smart, so inquisitive and easy-going.....And guess what: they both shared their mother's passion for Olive Oil dishes:).  Isn't it just incredible you think?




Today I want to share with you one of the easiest recipes ever ( but one of my favourite at the same time). I praise it for it's simplicity combined with a great nutritional value. In spite of it's being a bit spicy me and my dogs enjoyed it immensely ....hope you will do as well:)

Spaghetti with Olive Oil, Garlic and Chilli:





Ingredients:

8 ounces (225 gr) spaghetti
2 large or 3 small garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoons of chili pepper flakes
1/4 to 1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper

Method:

Begin by putting the pasta on to cook.

Then, just heat the olive oil in a small frying pan and, when it is hot, add the garlic, chilli and some freshly milled black pepper.

Cook these very gently for about 2 minutes, which will be enough time for the flavourings to infuse the oil.

When the pasta is cooked, return it to the saucepan after draining, then pour in the hot oil. Mix well, then serve straight away on warmed pasta plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment